Richard L. Pullano
Richard L. Pullano’s extensive litigation career began in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office where he served as Prosecutor in the Felony Trial Courts and the Gang Crimes Unit. Since 1987, he has worked exclusively in the personal injury field. Mr. Pullano has handled every type of case including transportation liability, medical negligence, product liability, premises liability, aviation liability, construction negligence and general negligence.
In 2013, Mr. Pullano secured a record-breaking $14 million settlement for the victim of a horrible tow truck accident on Chicago’s south side. The settlement is higher than any previously reported in Illinois for a plaintiff over 60 years old who was rendered a paraplegic because of an accident.
Richard L. Pullano secured $7.5 million for a Glenview resident whose doctors failed to properly review an MRI film and X-ray that showed a cancerous growth on his spine. After securing a $6.5 million settlement with the neurosurgeon and neurologist in 2009, Mr. Pullano bolstered the award with an additional $1 million from the internist after a brief trial in March 2010.
Mr. Pullano has obtained multiple record awards as recognized in the Illinois Jury Verdict Reporter. In 2008, he won a $2.5 million wrongful death verdict for the family of a 90-year-old Elmwood Park man who was struck by a vehicle. According to the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, the verdict is “the largest ever in Illinois for someone 90 or older.”
Other examples include $1.75 million for a worker injured at the facility of an international oil producer; $1.75 million in a farm accident case in West Central Illinois; $1.725 million for the family of a teen injured by fireworks; $1.55 million in a case where a woman was sexually assaulted due in part to lapses in security by a management company; $650,000 in a geriatric case (92-year old plaintiff) involving a hip fracture; and $400,000 in a orthopedic injury case (forearm fracture) involving a minor.
The depth and breadth of Mr. Pullano’s expertise is evidenced by successful results, including:
- The widely publicized “911 High Rise Fire” in downtown Chicago, in which Rick obtained a multi-million dollar wrongful death settlement against the owner and management company, along with a remedial agreement from the City of Chicago to change City ordinances relating to the handling of high rise fires
- A $4.5 million dollar jury verdict in a medical malpractice case claiming failure to diagnose lung cancer
- A $675,000 product liability victory involving a juvenile furniture manufacturer and obtained a award
- Representing an iron worker on a construction accident case, obtaining a $4.5 million settlement
- Handling a helicopter crash case in New York Federal Court and obtaining a multi-million dollar settlement for the wrongful death claim
- Obtaining a $3.7 million award for a pipe fitter burned by sulfuric acid while on the job
Mr. Pullano lectures extensively throughout the state at legal seminars on topics relating to his knowledge of tort litigation. He has appeared as a guest speaker on The Oprah Winfrey Show and on the WTTW’s Chicago Tonight.
He has been an adjunct professor at the DePaul University, College of Law, where he taught trial techniques and advocacy. He is a member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), North Suburban Bar Association (NSBA), American Trial Lawyer’s Association (ATLA), and the Justinian Society. He was selected to serve as NSBA President in 2017. He has been recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer since 2006, and has been named an Illinois Leading Lawyer by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
Mr. Pullano received his law degree from DePaul University (J.D., 1982), and earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1979). While at the University of Notre Dame he was a four-year starter on the baseball team and two-time most valuable player and captain.
Mr. Pullano is dedicated to his community as demonstrated by his significant involvement in the Glenview youth sports programs. He has been actively involved in the Board of Directors for several youth programs, along with the development of the Board of Directors for the Glenview Jr. Titan football program. Mr. Pullano has served as a head coach for youth football, basketball and baseball teams.
He and his wife Candace and their two children, Michael and Olivia, live in the Chicago area.
- Illinois, 1982
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, J.D., 1982
- Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, B.A., 1979
Honors and Awards:
- Super Lawyers, 2006-Present
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network, 2015
- AV-Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Illinois Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- North Suburban Bar Association
- President, 2017 - 2018
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Justinian Society of Lawyers
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, MCLE Seminar, Cross Examination of Defense Medical Expert, February 13, 2016
- North Suburban Bar Association, CLE Seminar, Personal Injury Damages, February 9, 2016